Biblical References of the Holy Sacraments

Baptism:

(Matthew 28:19,20) Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."

(John 3:5) Jesus answered, “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit.”

For a detailed article on Baptism, go here.

Holy Eucharist:

(1 Peter 2:4-5) Come to him, a living stone, rejected by human beings but chosen and precious in the sight of God, and, like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

For a detailed article on the Holy Eucharist, go here.

Confirmation:
Confirmation is the sacramental declaration of faith in Jesus Christ as the Son of God and our savior.

(Acts 16:31) And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be saved.”

(Romans 10:9) or, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Reconciliation:
Reconciliation is the confession and remittance of sins.

(John 20:21-23) Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

(2 Corinthians 5:18-20) And all this is from God, who has reconciled us to himself through Christ and given us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting their trespasses against them and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, as if God were appealing through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

(1 John 1:9) “If we acknowledge our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sin and cleanse us from every wrongdoing.”

(Proverbs 28:13) He who conceals his sins prospers not, but he who confesses and forsakes them obtains mercy.

For a detailed article on Sin and Confession, go here.

Marriage:

(Genesis 2:24) That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one body.

(Ephesians 5:25) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her.

(Ephesians 5:32-33) This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and the church. In any case, each one of you should love his wife as himself, and the wife should respect her husband.

Holy Orders:

(Acts 20:28) Keep watch over yourselves and over the whole flock of which the holy Spirit has appointed you overseers, in which you tend the church of God that he acquired with his own blood.

(1 Peter 2:4-5) Come to him, a living stone, rejected by human beings but chosen and precious in the sight of God, and, like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

(Matthew 28:18-20) Then Jesus approached and said to them, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”

(John 20:21) (Jesus) said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”

(John 21:15-16) “feed my lamb … tend my sheep”

Anointing of the Sick:

(Matthew 10:5-8) Jesus sent out these twelve after instructing them thus, "Do not go into pagan territory or enter a Samaritan town. Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. As you go, make this proclamation: ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, drive out demons. Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give.

(Mark 6:12-13) So they went off and preached repentance. They drove out many demons, and they anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them.

(James 5:14) Is anyone among you sick? He should summon the presbyters of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint (him) with oil in the name of the Lord.

Sacraments are ex opere operato meaning the virtue and merit of the minister (good or bad) does not affect the power of the sacrament. However, they are also ex opere operantis which means they depend on the disposition and sincerity of the receiver.